Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Avocado and Shrimp Salad with warm Chili Sauce

My twin sister was asking me about putting more diet dishes on the blog.  As Mac and I had our coffee this morning I told him this.  He smiled and said, "She does realize we live in Germany.....do we have any diet foods here?" 
"Good point," I replied.  "But I think I can give Lois a variation for the avocado and shrimp salad sauce today that will make it more diet."

We first had this particular dish in England.  My friend Raymond made it as an appetizer for one of the most amazing meals we have ever had. I came home and recreated it as best as I could.  Now I enjoy serving it as a light lunch. 
Click on the picture for a close up.  Here's the recipe.

1 package cubed pancetta
1 teaspoon chili oil
2 avocados
2 cups medium size precooked shrimp (prawns to the Europeans)
lettuce

Warm Chili Sauce
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons chili/garlic sauce
2 tablespoons Balsamico vingear
1 tablespoon sugar

Put your pancetta in a frying pan and fry until the pancetta cubes are crisp and brown. (You Mainers can buy the pancetta at the supermarket. In Belfast it's at the end of the cooler where you buy hummus) Now put your precooked shrimp in the frying pan with the pancetta just long enough to coat it with the oil and get the shrimp warm.  Remove from pan and set aside.  In the same pan melt your butter, add your ketchup, chili garlic sauce, vinegar and sugar. Mix together and heat for 2 minutes. (If you can't find chili garlic sauce you can add fresh garlic into your frying pan when you fry the pancetta and then substitute Heinz chili sauce)
Mix the cubed avocado, pancetta and shrimp and place on a bed of lettace.  Drizzle with chili sauce.
Now for those of you diet nuts out there I suggest using Ken's Healthy Options Sweet Vidalia Onion Vinaigrette. Two tablespoons of this sauce is 60 calories.
 
Mac loves this recipe. Look how eager he is to try it out!
Enjoy Mac...I love to see you smile.



Mac gives this recipe TWO thumbs up and wants to know if I can make him some comfort food tomorrow.  He only has five hours to sleep between his 12 hour shifts.
Wonder what I will make?

2 comments:

  1. I love it that you explained where the pancetta is located in the supermarket. I didn't know what it was....let alone where it was located. Hmmm....did I mention that I'm a Maine-ah? I look forward to trying this recipe and also to getting out of my comfort zone. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and I think you will really like this recipe!

    ReplyDelete