Monday, February 15, 2010

Sweet and Sour Cabbage/Rotkohl


The avocados were not ripe at the market today so I thought we'd talk cabbage.  Some of you are asking for recipes that are typically German. You can't live in Germany without having Rotkohl which is a sweet and sour red cabbage.  I have tried many variations on this recipe but have found my favorite to share with you.
1/2 stick butter (NO not margarine, butter!)
1 red cabbage cut into shreds
6 Tablespoons of sugar
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar

Melt the butter in a large pot.  Add the cabbage and saute for 5 minutes.
Add your sugar and toss to coat the cabbage.
Next add your balsamic vinegar.
Reduce heat.  Now tightly cover your rotkohl and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.

This is my favorite recipe although their are many variations on this dish. I think the balsamic vinger and butter are the key to the flavor.
Rotkohl is a nice accompliment to game dishes such as venison, wildboar or pheasant.  It is also nice with lamb or pork.  I like to garnish with feta cheese. That's not  German...that's me for you!
If you've never had sweet and sour cabbage before, give this a try.

Mac had it for dinner with a nice bit of lamb.  He gives it a thumbs up...oh and by the way he has given some rotkohl recipes the thumbs down. I didn't bother to share those with you because if Mac doesn't like it  you probably won't either.
Mac is following my blog closely with anticipation.  He loves being the taste tester for you.



2 comments:

  1. Boy, I have to say the dishes you have made look wonderful. It is fun to read your blog!
    XO Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete