Friday, February 26, 2010

Waikiki Meatballs and der Arzt

Let's start with the Arzt.  Arzt means doctor in German and I do need to find one. While contractors are allowed medical appointments on base, we are given appointments only after all military personnel have been attended to.  What this means is that it is difficult to get an appointment.  Since Stuttgart is really nothing more than a band-aid station and the Lanstuhl hospital is two hours away, we decided to find a German doctor.  Now, dear readers, do not be afraid for me.  I do speak enough German to be dangerous and quite frankly, German doctors are exceptionally well trained.  Mac went to the pharmacy (Apotheke) and asked for a local doctor.  So, today at 4:30 pm German time, I am going to see der Arzt.  Wish me luck!

On to our recipe. My Mom was helping me find a recipe for a 4-H club competition when I was 13.  I wanted to make something "different", I told her. She pulled out her OLD Betty Crocker cookbook. I came across a recipe for Waikiki Meatballs. The name captured my imagination and we just had to try them.   I won the local competition and was sent to the regionals with these yummy meatballs. I came second in the regionals. I was beat out by a cake.....chocolate cake.  If I ever get to run the world, no savory dishes would have to go up against chocolate cake.  It simply isn't fair. 

When I got married Mom bought me a NEW Betty Crocker cookbook and I was disappointed to find that instead of Waikiki Meatballs they had changed the name to Sweet- and- Sour Meatballs.  It was bad enough I lost the competition to a chocolate cake, but Ms. Crocker changing the name was just unacceptable.  No matter what Betty decides to call them nowadays, they are still Waikiki Meatballs to me.  In fact, where ever I take this recipe, to a party, church supper or just for guests here at home I am always asked for the recipe.

We begin by making the meatballs.

1 pound hamburger (mince to you Brits)
1/2 cup Progresso Italian Style Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons minced onion (OR 1 teaspoon onion powder)
1/2 teaspoon Lawry seasoned Salt
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 egg

Mix these ingredients together and shape into balls.  I cook them in an ungreased pan in  a 400 degree oven until light brown.  That takes about 20 minutes.

Waikiki Sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 can (13 1/4 ounces) pineapple chunks
1/3 cup vinegar (I use white or balsamico.  It's really your own taste in vinegar)
1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 green pepper, coarsely chopped (sometimes near Christmas I add red peppers in with the green peppers to be fancy)

 
This is what the sauce looks like when you have mixed it up in your frying pan.

Mix your brown sugar and cornstarch together. Put it in the skillet and stir in pineapple with it's syrup, vinegar and soy sauce.  Heat this to boiling and stir constantly.

Bring to a boil. The sauce will thicken,turn transparent and darker.  Reduce your heat when it looks like this and add your meatballs. Cover; simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in your green pepper and turn off the heat.  Cover the pan again and let sit for 5 minutes until peppers are crisp tender. This dish is best served over a bed of rice.

Waikiki Meatballs


Mac gives it two thumbs up!
My daughters and son-in-laws also give it two thumbs up.
You get the idea. Give the Waikiki Meatballs a try, you won't be disappointed.  I don't think I ever did thank my mother for taking the time to help me find this recipe.
Thanks MOM!




No comments:

Post a Comment