Friday, April 8, 2011

A variation on the GERMAN WURST SALAD (NOT WORST)

My son-in-law asked me to blog the WORST salad. I am pretty sure he meant "WURST" salad which, is not so bad and quite tasty.
I've used the American "Bologna" in my recipe, but normally I go to the German butcher and ask for
"Fleischwurst."  It tastes very similar to our bologna.


It's simple to make.  First you slice your bologna up into thin strips.

Separate it so it looks a bit like this in your bowl.

In another bowl, whisk together
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon  fresh chives
    1/2 teaspoon fresh parsley
   1 teaspoon minced garlic
   1/2 onion finely chopped
1/2 can of water chestnuts chopped
1/3 of a small jar of sweet relish
and a dash of cayenne pepper

Pour this over the salad and add approximately 1/4 cup mayo.
Mix well. 
The addition of the water chestnuts is my own because I love the crunch they add to the soft bologna.

You can serve the "wurst" salad on it's own but, I prefer to
serve it with a variety of other salads, such as the carrot salad I blogged for you last May and a nice green salad.
Enjoy the recipe son-in-law, oh and we love you!
My shy Englishman son-in-law is turning red now.

No comments:

Post a Comment